Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Maggot Meats A New Vegetarian

The YouTube website is host to one home-video that I won't soon forget. Type in, "Pork and Coke Worms" and be one of two million viewers who has gazed upon the disgusting marriage of raw pork chops and the Coca Cola beverage.


I have been a devout carnivore my entire life and if poetic PETA videos of baby chicks getting their beaks charred off didn't shake my love for meat, why the heck did this?
I'm either a terrible person or I have a relatively strong stomach.

My sister has been a vegetarian for years and, for the life of me, I never understood why. Sure, you may live longer being lower in the food chain, and yes, you are saving the lives of helpless animals, and maybe you have a better chance of getting into heaven, but none of this ever phased me- not in the least.

First of all, I love meat. I love the way it smells as I'm walking passed my neighbours house in the summertime thinking, "Mmm… barbecue." I love thick and juicy- still beating because it's so rare-12oz steaks! I LOVE sucking the bones dry off BBQ pork ribs and I love cleaning my sticky fingers with the politely packaged sanitizer wipes they give you after downing a pound of hot wings. However, I'm afraid, never again will I be able to swallow a satisfyingly savoury piece of meat. Well, never say never.

It's completely possible that this video was a total hoax; though, at this moment, that tiny bit of information is completely irrelevant. Allow me to carry you through, "Pork and Coke Worms", frame by frame.

First shot; man soaks raw pig flesh in a pool of acidic soft drink. Second shot; man sets a thirty minute timer. Caption; nothing happens. Third shot; man continues to marinate pork in coke adding just a smidgen more of the PG bubbly. Roughly two hours later, "MAGGOTS?!"'
Final Shot; man uses tweezers to squeeze maggot and/or grain of rice out of raw pork meat.

The idea of having slimy and slithering worms swimming in my stomach does not sit well with me. Ew. Maggots. Gross.

Is there truth to this YouTube video? I really don't know, but for the time being, "no more pork for me."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LIdUiCzdpY 

No comments:

Post a Comment